These cool eco-friendly earrings are made from the humble gourd .
They are lightweight and handcrafted. These earrings have all the eco credentials we like to see.
The gourds (also known as calabash) are cut and painted by hand to create these unique pieces.
Gourds make an ideal material for jewellery being lightweight but highly strong and durable.
Gourds have been used for centuries in many parts of Africa for storing and serving food, an ideal organic plant based material. It's popularity declined with the introduction of ceramics but has more recently increased due its organic nature.
Made in Kenya by Zuri Designs a fair trade organisation who work directly with small producer groups and workshops in Kenya and Uganda to break the cycle of poverty. Providing employment for Kenyan artisans.
Shared Earth's mission is to improve the livelihoods of disadvantaged people in developing countries, benefiting local community projects and keeping alive traditional skills that would otherwise be lost.
Shared Earth aims:
- To pay fair prices for products
- To always offer 50% payment upfront to overseas producers
- To ensure working conditions are acceptable
- To provide advice on design and product development
- To support suppliers and their local communities
- To avoid child labour
- To commit to long term relationships with suppliers