These delightful triangular shape earrings made from the humble gourd are lightweight and eco-friendly. This truly is a product from the earth.
The gourds ( also known as calabash) are cut and carved by hand to create these unique pieces. Gourds make an ideal material for jewelry being lightweight but highly strong and durable.
Gourds have been used for centuries in many parts of Africa for storing and serving food, an ideal organic plant based material. It's popularity declined with the introduction of ceramics but has more recently increased due its organic nature.
Made in Kenya by Zuri Designs a fair trade organisation who work directly with small producer groups and workshops in Kenya and Uganda to break the cycle of poverty. Providing employment for Kenyan artisans.
Approximate size: Drop 4.5 cm.
Width 3 cm.
Made in Kenya from Gourd
Shared Earth's mission is to improve the livelihoods of disadvantaged people in developing countries, benefiting local community projects and keeping alive traditional skills that would otherwise be lost.
Shared Earth aims:
- To pay fair prices for products
- To always offer 50% payment upfront to overseas producers
- To ensure working conditions are acceptable
- To provide advice on design and product development
- To support suppliers and their local communities
- To avoid child labour
- To commit to long term relationships with suppliers